(Cervical Sprain and Neck Muscle Strain)
- Spraining the neck ligaments
- Straining the neck muscles
- Possible bone and nerve injury
|Process Leading to Whiplash|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Sporting events that include full contact
- Stiff neck
- Neck pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Shoulder pain and stiffness
- Decreased range of neck motion
- Muscle spasms
- Pain, numbness, or tingling extending down an arm
- Blurred vision
- Unusual fatigue
- Heat or ice packs—Talk with your doctor about using heat or ice to relieve muscle tension and pain. Place a towel between the ice or heat pack and the skin.
Medications such as:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDs)
- Over-the-counter pain relievers
- Prescription pain relievers
- Muscle relaxants
- Moving as able—strict rest may slow recovery
- Physical therapy
- Joint manipulation of the spine done by a chiropractor or other trained provider
American Academy of Family Physicians http://www.aafp.org
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.aaos.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Healthy Canadians http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca
Cervical sprain. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated March 18, 2013. Accessed March 18, 2013..
Conlin A. Bhogal S. Sequeira K. Teasell R. Treatment of whiplash-associated disorders--part II: Medical and surgical interventions. Pain Research & Management. 10(1):33-40, 2005.
Conlin A. Bhogal S. Sequeira K. Teasell R. Treatment of whiplash-associated disorders--part I: Non-invasive interventions. Pain Research & Management. 10(1):21-32, 2005.
Curatolo M. Arendt-Nielsen L. Petersen-Felix S. Evidence, mechanisms, and clinical implications of central hypersensitivity in chronic pain after whiplash injury. Clinical Journal of Pain. 20(6):469-76, 2004 Nov-Dec.
Neck sprain. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00410. Updated August 2007. Accessed March 18, 2013.
NINDS whiplash information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/whiplash/whiplash.htm. Updated September 19, 2012. Accessed March 18, 2013.
Verhagen AP. Scholten-Peeters GG. van Wijngaarden S. de Bie RA. Bierma-Zeinstra SM. Conservative treatments for whiplash. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. (2):CD003338, 2007.