- Regulate fluids and mineral balance in and out of body cells
- Maintain your normal blood pressure
- Transmit nerve impulses
- Make your muscles contract
Estimated Minimum Requirement of Potassium
|> 13 years||4,700|
Major Food Sources
|Food (amount)||Serving Size||
|White beans, canned||1/2 cup||595|
|Potato, baked with skin||1 medium||610|
|Lentils, cooked||1/2 cup||365|
|Clams, canned and drained||3 ounces||534|
|Yogurt, low fat, plain||1 cup||531|
|Lima beans, cooked||1/2 cup||484|
|Dried apricots||1/4 cup||378|
|Tuna, yellowfin, cooked||3 ounces||484|
|Honeydew melon||1/8 medium||365|
|Winter squash||½ cup||448|
|Cod, Pacific, cooked||3 ounces||439|
|Spinach, cooked||½ cup||419|
|Milk, fat-free||1 cup||382|
|Kidney Beans, cooked||½ cup||358|
Tips for Increasing Your Potassium Intake
- Eat legumes, such as black beans, lentils, and chickpeas, three times per week. Combine them with rice and vegetables and wrap in a warm tortilla.
- Make garden salads with half green lettuce and half fresh spinach.
- Eat fish as your entrée a few times per week.
- Snack on dried fruits for a sweet fix.
- Use avocado on sandwiches or bagels in place of mayonnaise or cream cheese.
- Eat two brightly colored fruits and vegetables each day, like sweet potato, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, spinach, among others.
Canadian Council on Food and Nutrition http://www.ccfn.ca/
Dietitians of Canada http://www.dietitians.ca/
Chapter 8 sodium and potassium. Health.gov website. Available at: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/chapter8.htm. Updated July 9, 2008. Accessed April 18, 2012.
Duyff RL. The American Dietetic Association's Complete Food & Nutrition Guide . 3rd ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, Inc; 2006.
Food sources of potassium. Health.gov website. Available at: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/appendixb.htm. Updated July 9, 2008. Accessed April 18, 2012.
Hypertension. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/. Accessed February 15, 2008.
Hypokalemia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/. Updated January 2, 2011. Accessed April 17, 2012.
Garrison R, Somer E. The Nutrition Desk Reference. New Canaan, CT: Keats Publishing; 1995.
Wardlaw G, Insel P. Perspectives in Nutrition . 2nd ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby Year Book; 1993.
Whelton PK, He J, Cutler JA, et al. Effects of oral potassium on blood pressure. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials. JAMA . 1997;277:1624–1632.
- Reviewer: Peter J. Lucas, MD
- Review Date: 05/2012 -
- Update Date: 05/07/2012 -