|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Sore throat or chronic cough
- Hoarse voice
- Sour taste in mouth from acid reflux
- Difficulty or pain with swallowing, a condition called dysphagia
- Weight loss
- Fatigue, or difficulty or pain with breathing associated with anemia
- Photodynamic therapy—uses laser light
- Radiofrequency ablation—uses radiowaves
- Do not smoke. If you smoke, quit .
- If you are overweight, lose weight .
- Raise the head of your bed onto 4-6 inch blocks.
- Avoid clothes with tight belts or waistbands.
- Avoid foods that cause heartburn. These include alcohol, caffeinated beverages, chocolate, and foods that are fatty. This also includes spicy or acidic foods such as citrus or tomatoes.
- Do not eat or drink for 3-4 hours before you lie down or go to bed.
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons http://www.sts.org
Canadian Society of Intestinal Research http://www.badgut.com
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Barrett esophagus. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated January 28, 2013. Accessed April 30, 2013.
Barrett's esophagus. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/barretts . Updated January 22, 2013. Accessed April 30, 2013.
Cameron AJ. Barrett's esophagus: prevalence and size of hiatal hernia. Am J Gastroenterol . 1999;94(8):2054-2059.
Pereira-Lima JC, Busnello JV, Saul C. High power setting argon plasma coagulation for the eradication of Barrett's esophagus. Am J Gastroenterol . 2000;95(7):1661-1668.
Rajan E, Burgart LJ, Gostout CJ. Endoscopic and histologic diagnosis of Barrett esophagus. Mayo Clin Proc . 2001;76(2):217-225.
Sampliner RE. Ablative therapies for the columnar-lined esophagus. Gastroenterol Clin North Am . 1997;26(3):685-694.
Sampliner RE, Fennerty B, Garewal HS. Reversal of Barrett's esophagus with acid suppression and multipolar electrocoagulation: preliminary results. Gastrointest Endosc . 1996;44(5):532-535.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 04/2013 -
- Update Date: 03/18/2013 -