Conditions InDepth: Gestational Diabetes
- Macrosomia (abnormally large baby) and problems during delivery (such as, shoulder dystocia)
- Respiratory distress syndrome (breathing problems)
- Other conditions (such as, low blood glucose levels, low calcium levels, high bilirubin levels)
- Increased rate of stillbirth
Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated July 11, 2012. Accessed August 17, 2012.
Hillier TA, Pedula KL, et al. Excess gestational weight gain: modifying fetal macrosomia risk associated with maternal glucose. Obstet Gynecol. 2008;112:1007-1014.
What I need to know about gestational diabetes. National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC) website. Available at: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/gestational/#7. Updated December 6, 2011. Accessed August 17, 2012.
2/5/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Cheng YW, Chung JH, et al. Gestational weight gain and gestational diabetes mellitus: perinatal outcomes. Obstet Gynecol. 2008;112:1015-1022.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -