(Dandy-Walker Malformation; Dandy Walker Syndrome; Familial Dandy Walker; Dandy Walker Malformation)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Impaired development of normal speech and language
- Slow motor development
- Lack of muscle coordination
- Jerky eye movements
- Increased head circumference
- Bulging of the back of the skull
- Problems with the nerves that control the eyes, face, and neck
- Abnormal breathing
- Shunt—a tube is placed in the brain to allow the extra fluid to drain out of the brain.
- Ventriculostomy—a tube from one ventricle to another. It allows extra fluid to drain out of the affected ventricle.
Children's Craniofacial Association http://www.ccakids.com/
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov/
Canadian Neurological Sciences Federation http://www.ccns.org/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index%5Fe.html/
Aldinger KA, Lehmann OJ, Hudgins L, et al. FOXC1 is required for normal cerebellar development and is a major contributor to chromosome 6p25.3 Dandy-Walker malformation. Nature Genetics. 2009;41(9):1037-1042.
Boltshauser EJ. Dandy-Walker syndrome. In: Gilman S, ed. MedLink Neurology. San Diego, CA: MedLink Corporation. MedLink website. Available at: http://www.medlink.com . Accessed September 20, 2012.
Dandy-Walker. Hyman-Newman Institute for Neurology and Neurosurgery website. Available at: http://www.nyneurosurgery.org/dandywalker.htm . Accessed September 20, 2012.
Dandy-Walker syndrome. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dandywalker/dandywalker.htm . Accessed September 20, 2012.
Sarnat HB. Flores-Sarnat L. Developmental disorders of the nervous system. In: Bradley WG, Daroff RB, Fenichek GM, Jankovic J, eds. Neurology in Clinical Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Butterworth Heinemann Elsevier; 2008.
Spennato P, et al. Hydrocephalus in Dandy-Walker malformation. Childs Nerv Syst. 2011;27:1665-81.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 00/93/2012 -