Advanced intensive care for the most fragile newborns.
Our level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), serving our tiniest and most vulnerable patients, is one reason so many women and doctors from across 13 counties trust Overland Park Regional Medical Center for neonatal care.
Since opening in 1991, the NICU has cared for more than 5,000 babies. We currently care for an average of 46 preemies each day.
The unit is equipped and staffed to care for “micropreemies” born as early as 23 weeks and other newborns with serious health issues. Our experienced NICU team provides round-the-clock lifesaving care and includes as many as 175 specialized health care professionals, such as:
- Neonatologists, pediatric doctors who are specially trained and experienced in caring for ill and premature infants
- Neonatal nurse practitioners with advanced degrees and training in caring for high-risk newborns
- Registered nurses experienced in neonatal intensive care
- Respiratory therapists to help babies whose lungs may not be fully developed
- Surgeons trained and experienced in operating on newborns
- Perinatal social workers who specialize in supporting families during a NICU stay and after the transition home
- Breastfeeding consultants, offering support and guidance to ensure your baby gets the vital nutrients only you can give. Our lactation consultants are trained to help even the most premature babies receive mother’s breast milk.
The team is backed up by all the resources of HCA Midwest Health, such as:
- Speech, physical and occupational therapy
- Radiology and other imaging services
- Surgical services
- Dietician specialized in neonatal nutrition needs
- Clinical and personal support.
And because we also have the region’s only dedicated antepartum unit for high-risk pregnancies, you can be confident that both you and your baby will receive comprehensive, specialized care if the need arises.
A safe trip to our NICU
If your baby is born anywhere in the 13-county region and needs to be moved to Overland Park Regional Medical Center for a higher level of NICU care, our neonatal transport team can provide lifesaving care en route. If medically necessary, we can also transport mothers so they can be transferred to Overland Park Medical Center to be cared for near their babies.
A welcoming place for babies and families
Beyond advanced clinical care, our private, secure 70-bed NICU provides a nurturing, comforting environment for babies and their families. No one is more important to your baby than you. We realize how important it is for you to bond with your baby, and how critical your presence can be to your baby’s healing and your own. We’ll answer your questions and ensure you have as much time as possible with your baby so you can get to know each other. And when it’s time for you to take your baby home, we’ll make sure you have the information and support you need.
“Rooming-in” when the time is right
Our NICU features “rooming in” rooms, specially designed for parents who need to be with their newborn full-time or who are ready to fully care for their baby. Rooming in can help you and your baby bond and prepare for life outside the hospital.